Re: Debian bullseye and python3

On 2021/02/16 03:46 AM, deloptes wrote:
Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

This hits devuan chimaera, too, so I'm also interested in advice. But it
looks like python2.7 will be around for at least for chimaera/bullseye.

I am absolutely not happy when I see that the debian build scripts (or
whatever) are trying to create symlink in /usr/bin for python.
I think it is very odd. The scripts should use python2.7 or create alias
when running or whatever.
Looking at differences in python 2+ and 3 seems the difference is in python3
using UTF-8 and python2.7 is still maintained but not recommended.
I personally do not find any use for python here, but whole tdebindings
fails.

What can we/I do to help? I honestly had some other plans ... but ...
upgrading to bullseye is not high priority for now :)

regards

Hi Emanoil, Nik,
the topic of python 2 has come up already in internal discussions. Here is the current status:

1) we will need to migrate to python3 as some point. Some work has already been done, but a lot is still required. May happen for R14.1.0 or in one of the subsequent R14.1.x releases.

2) python bindings (python-trinity and pytdeextensions) works on python 2 but need to be updated for python 3

3) tdebindings is mostly broken AFAICT. I personally would like to see it fixed, but we have postponed any work on it till after R14.1.0 is released.

4) you can perfectly run TDE on bullseye, no problem there.

If you want to help you are welcome, obviusly :-)

Cheers
  Michele