Re: Re: pinentry-tqt

Hi
I dropped a mail to Damien Goutte-Gattat. Seems to be responsible for
pinentry.

Here is the essence of what he says

>>Was it merged in gnupg?

>Yes, I merged it into the main branch back in November 2017, it is part of
>the last pinentry release (1.1.0, published in December 2017).

>>How we can setup our repository to follow the main branch?

>If you have changes to pinentry-tqt (e.g. fixes for bugs reported by TDE
>users), the “standard” workflow would be to clone the pinentry main
>branch from git.gnupg.org, do your development on a dedicated branch,
>them send the patches to gnupg-devel. From there I (or another GnuPG
>developer) would take care of merging them.

[...]

>I see that the TDE project provides its own packages for the most common
>distributions, so it would make sense for you to provide a binary
>package for pinentry-tqt as well. Make a binary package that provides
>*only* pinentry-tqt (disable all other pinentries at the configure
>step), and provide it along with the other TDE packages.

As mentioned in the bug 2830 I found out that actually I need to have
pinentry-tqt and pinentry-tty, so that it does not conflict with
dependencies from debian. the pinentry-tty is required for console only
applications.

The code can be obtained via

        git clone git://git.gnupg.org/pinentry.git

because it was merged already. All the rest in the bug 2830 is correct.

In the last note from 20.10.2018 I mean, when building TDE I do on each
package
        sed -i "s/pinentry-qt/pinentry-tqt/" $(TGTDIR)"/debian/control"
because of mentioned dependencies.

So in my opinion what needs to be done is to take the decision how we deal
with upstream pinentry and pimp all the packages that depend on pinentry-qt
(so to speak do a switch to pinentry-tqt). Of course it needs to be done
for each distribution. I have added only the debian part, but it does not
seem to be that much of work - mostly decision and setup.

When the decision is taken, I would love to do my part, especially now with
most of the other topics I had closed and COVID19 knocking on the door, we
may at once have much more time for development if the internet remains
intact of course :)

regards