Re: tdelibs errors, dependencies, and CMake options (Gentoo again)

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:33:48 +0900
"Michele Calgaro via trinity-devel" <trinity-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi E.
>
> > [1010/2200] cd /var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999_build/doc/tdespell &&
> > /var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999_build/kdoctools/meinproc
> > --srcdir=/var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999/kdoctools --check --cache index.cache.bz2
> > /var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999/doc/tdespell/index.docbook FAILED:
> > doc/tdespell/index.cache.bz2 cd /var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999_build/doc/tdespell &&
> > /var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999_build/kdoctools/meinproc
> > --srcdir=/var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999/kdoctools --check --cache index.cache.bz2
> > /var/tmp/portage/trinity-base/tdelibs-9999/work/tdelibs-9999/doc/tdespell/index.docbook
>
> This could be related to the creation of index docbook. I had a simial issue many years ago with meinproc. If I remember
> correctly, it was something related to the calling of tmoc before meinproc was called. Don't remember the exact details
> though.

Probably not anything I did, then.  Fixing it presumably requires patching part of the
build system—a bit beyond me at this time.

> > A comparison of multiple versions of CMakeLists.txt shows that the WITH_UDISKS and WITH_UDISKS2 options are being
> > removed.  Are they supposed to be subsumed into WITH_TDEHWLIB, or is udisks2 going to be an absolute requirement
> > for building TDE in the future?  (Minimalist configurations are quite common in Gentoo, so I need to get this
> > right.)
>
> In R14.1.x, tdehw lib will try to use any of the available methods in a system to mount/umount disks.
> The order of testings is udisks2, udisks, udevil, pmount. Calls are done through dbus (udisks2, udisks) or thorugh popen
> (udevil, pmount).
> The options WITH_UDISKS and WITH_UDISKS2 have been removed because now the code is always compiled and if udisks/udisks2
> is not available at runtime, the calls will fail and the next method will be tried out. Since the call are done through
> DBUS, there is no hard dependency at compile time.

So WITH_TDEHWLIB requires dbus and one of udisks2, udisks-not-2, udevil, or pmount.
(Note that my attempted tdelibs git build blew up earlier and somewhere in tdehwlib before I
set WITH_TDEHWLIB to "OFF", so I'm not sure there isn't an inadvertant build-time
dependency on udisks and pals in the code somewhere.  The chroot I'm building in has dbus
installed, but none of the others.)

Do any of the other options (such as the encryption-related ones below) depend on
tdehwlib being enabled?

> > There are three new options:  WITH_PCSC, WITH_PKCS, and WITH_CRYPTSETUP, one of which has a not-very-useful
> > description.  My understanding is that:
>
> These options were added by Tim 5 years ago or so and actually some are a bit of an issue for R14.1.x.
>
> > WITH_PCSC offers support for smartcards and requires the pcsc-lite library
>
> Correct, AFAICT.

Okay, so I'll need to add a USE flag "pcsc-lite" to the ebuild to support switching build support
for this feature on and off.  And dig up the documentation on local USE flags in overlays.

> > WITH_PKCS offers support for PKCS#11 crypto and requires (I think) the library packaged by Gentoo as
> > dev-libs/pkcs11-helper
>
> Yes, require pkcs11-helper and AFAICR it does not support ssl 1.1 (haven't checked for long time) so in R14.1.x we have
> disable this option at build time for the time being

I'll also hard-code this one off for the time being, then.

> > WITH_CRYPTSETUP offers support for filesystem encryption(?) using sys-fs/cryptsetup(?)
>
> cryptsetup is related to support for LUKS (and plain) encrypted disks. If this is disabled, you should lose the
> capability of being able to modify properties of LUKS disks (in particular keys) from the GUI. Anyhow it should not
> affect the capability to mount/umount LUKS disks at runtime as long as you have cryptsetup package installed, since
> those operations are once again managed by DBUS calls.
> Please note that the code in R14.1.x master branch related to LUKS disk support does not work properly. I have a PR open
> for it where I have already made lot of work. I just need to find a spell of time where I can work on it with some
> consistency before I can merge it to master.

Add USE flag "cryptsetup" for this one, then, but mask it for the time being to prevent it
being turned on before the feature is fixed.  (Talking partly to myself here . . .)

E. Liddell