TDE on dense small screens

Hello TDE Developers,

I recently purchased a Dell XPS15 laptop for my daughter and before I turn it over to her, I am experimenting to see what must be done to make it usable under Linux/TDE for those with no better than normal eyesight.  Per EDID, the laptop's native screen resolution is 3840 x 2160 and its physical screen dimensions are 346 x 194mm (~15.6" diagonal).  My objective is to run the laptop at native resolution both inside and outside of X (no re-scaling).

Using the EDID metrics, it is pretty easy to determine during boot an optimum terminal font (ter-i32b.psf) and X font scaling (Xft.dpi=240).  After that, using the TDE control panel to increase panel and icon sizes produces a nice looking desktop environment … almost.

The remaining issue concerns TDE window/menu controls that are too small.  These include window resizing double-arrows, window scrollbar and associated up and down arrows, the menu-submenu right arrow, list expand-collapse (+/-) controls, checkboxes, and radio buttons.

I suspect that these resources are part of QT3 but don't really know for sure.  I suspect QT3 because applications that do not use that toolkit (e.g. LibreOffice and Firefox) do not manifest the problem.

I am hoping that somebody more knowledgeable about GUI configuration and programming can point me in the right direction.  Is this something that can be corrected via a configuration file (e.g. qtrc)?  If not, can somebody point me to where in in the source code tree I should be looking and what I would need to do to correct this?

Of course, if HiDPI issues have already been addressed by others in the post R14.0.4 source code, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your insights and help.

Vince Reher