Re: two unique tdecmshell xserver instances at once possible?

Felix Miata wrote:

> deloptes composed on 2016-11-30 07:30 (UTC+0100):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> xserver
>
>> In your example I don't see how you are passing the display number to
>> xserver command
>
> I've not been, and adding it doesn't change anything. I'm not trying to
> start a server. I'm trying to alter the already running server from within
> the running server. The commands are all run on screen :0 in the instant
> case. Why does the first instance work as expected (as it has since it was
> KDE3 and probably KDE2 before) without specifying a screen?

I was thinking you want to run xserver on different port/screen

>>        All  of  the  X  servers  accept the command line options
>>        described
>> below.  Some X servers may have alternative ways of providing the
>> parameters
>>        described here, but the values provided via the command line
>>        options
>> should override values specified via other mechanisms.
>>
>>        :displaynumber
>>                The X server runs as the given displaynumber, which by
>> default is 0.  If multiple X servers are to run simultaneously on  a
>> host, each
>>                must  have  a unique display number.  See the DISPLAY
>>                NAMES
>> section of the X(7) manual page to learn how to specify which display
>> number
>>                clients should try to use.
>
> # man X(7)
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token '('.
> # man X
> no manual entry for X

Strange I have man for Xorg and for X - perhaps you are missing something.
And I have full featured man page for tdecmshell

> # tdecmshell --help-all only shows a displayname option, no displaynumber
> # tdecmshell --help-all
> Usage: kcmshell [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] module...
>
> Says nothing about server options.

   Qt options:
       --display <displayname>
              Use the X-server display 'displayname'

> What is shown in http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/dpi108vs133.jpg is all from a
> single running instance of starttde, not some cut and paste hocus pocus.
>
> ???

What you show on the image means you change the DPI on display :0 (default)
and it will impact all programs run there.

I haven't spent too much time with X, but also not too less. AFAIR it was
1.GPU -> 1.Screen -> 1..n Display(s)

In general I do not understand what you want to achieve - you can not run a
Xserver from within Xserver and let it bind to the same screen port which
is already taken by the first Xserver running. In my opinion you can run
xserver on :1 or :2 from the native console (but it would require more work
to run applications there ... see session management)

man xserver
       -dpi resolution
               sets  the  resolution  for all screens, in dots per inch.  To
be used when the server cannot determine the screen size(s) from the hard‐
               ware.

At least AFAIR this is what vnc is doing, where (AFAIR) you specify the port
example :5 and then can connect from remote to xserver on :5 remote via
vnc.

regards

I hope this helps