Re: LIO - qla2xxx Target

Hi Jared,

Adding Himanshu, Quinn + target-devel CC'

On Mon, 2017-05-22 at 07:45 +1200, Jared Watts wrote:
> Hi Nicholas,
>

> Apologies for the unsolicited email (I'm sure you get these on an
> ongoing basis). I'm trying to setup a homelab SAN and using Fedora 25
> to supply LUNs via FC to ESX 5.5 (using a Brocade 200E SAN switch and
> QLogic 2462 HBAs).
>

> I've successfully got it running with the targets appearing on each
> ESX host, successfully creating a datastore. QLogic card on the server
> in target mode, target created via targetcli and ACLs configured/LUN
> added and showing in ESX. However after a little while (during high
> IO) the target dies on each ESX host (with dead/error). Doing a
> systemctl restart target.service gets it working again.
>

> I did read the following:
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/target-devel/msg15173.html
>

> https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2113956
>

> And disabled ATS heartbeat - but the issue still occurs.

Thanks for doing some homework first.  ;)

> How would you recommend debugging something like this? There are no
> messages of interest from the kernel. I know what I'm doing (15 years
> C programming) - all I need is a starting point to try and diagnose
> the source of the issue.

So I'd recommend collecting all logs hardware + switch setup, driver,
and firmware information for both ESX + target side, and send it along
with the qla2xxx / Cavium folks CC'ed to have a look.

That will be a good starting point to understand if it's something
obvious that has already been fixed.

Most likely they will have you collect a qla2xxx firmware dump once the
bug triggers in order to understand what is going on.