Ubuntu 16.04 breaks FC target with ABORT_TASK regardless of kernel

Hello all -

I have been running an Ubuntu 14.04 FC target for about 15 months now with a custom compiled 4.2 kernel including a patch for PR from here.

I recently decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 to keep the FC target inline with my other Ubuntu machines. This was and continues to be very painful.

Neglecting other somewhat braindead problems in having a mixed 14.04 and 16.04 cluster (corosync won’t talk between them so it is very difficult to stage the upgrade and test properly), I’ve found that 16.04 with any of my custom 4.2 kernel from above, the distro’s 4.4 kernel, or the most recently compiled 4.9 from the kernel-pap all will fail with:

ABORT_TASK: Found referenced qla2xxx task_tag: 1133800
ABORT_TASK: Sending TMR_TASK_DOES_NOT_EXIST for ref_tag: 1133800

repeating as long as I (don’t really) desire to let it run.

This also breaks the Hyper-V cluster that is using this FC target - that is to say that it basically enters what appears to be an i/o deadlock and won’t break free unless either it is rebooted or the FC target disappears from the fabric.

I suspect this is probably related to the distro itself as 16.04 fails with any kernel and 14.04 appears to work with the 4.2 and 4.4 kernels with the caveat that I did not try the 4.9 kernel with 14.04 to determine if it worked but I presume that it would.

I’m hoping for some guidance as to what could also possibly have changed between 14.04 and 16.04 to cause the error above so that it can be reported to the right people to get it resolved.

Thanks for the help!

Scott