Re: TCMU file handler peformance

On 05/05/2016 11:51 PM, Ming Lin wrote:
Hi Andy,

I'm looking at TCMU's performance.
Just played with tcmu-runner/file_example ...
I guess the poor performance comes from tcmu-runner/file_example.c.
I'll try to modify file_example.c to use AIO+DIO.

My goal is to verify whether tcmu's file handler can get similar
performance as iblock.

What do you think?

Hi Ming, thanks for taking a look!

I would say file_example.c is only worth tuning if it helps us improve performance for non-example handlers -- like qcow, glfs, or any future ones -- by showing ways that the common user or kernel TCMU code might be improved. Nobody should ever use file_example handler in production, it offers nothing over the kernel fileio backstore.

I would love for us to have a better understanding of the impact the current code in target_core_user.c has on performance. Impact of the ring size, context switches, how much batching of commands we're getting, copy overhead -- these sort of things have not yet been characterized with actual benchmarks[1].

That said, if you found using AIO+DIO in the file handler gave better performance, then we might want to also have that code as an example for handler writers in addition to what's there now. :)

Regards -- Andy

[1] well we have http://opensource-storage.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/using-lio-with-gluster.html but that's giving us TCMU performance only in the context of a specific handler, and versus FUSE...