Re: Mitigating excessive iSCSI initiator connection failed errors.

On Fri, 2016-03-11 at 12:21 +0000, Benjamin ESTRABAUD wrote:
> On 11/03/16 11:45, Benjamin ESTRABAUD wrote:

> >> Is this with Linux hosts only? We can implement something on the
> >> initiator side like other OSes have where for these types of errors it
> >> will stop retrying the relogin then the user has to relogin manually
> >> later. We used to do that by default, but hit issues. We can just make
> >> the behavior a config option.
> > So far yes, I've only seen this with a RHEL 7.1 host with Multipath
> > enabled on all the iSCSI LUNs. A user would take the RAID offline on the
> > target, causing the associated Volume and LIO targets to be taken
> > offline. Because this an symmetrical dual controller system one path of
> > the multipath device becomes unresponsive (IOs submitted to it will
> > timeout) and the other path to the side which hosted the RAID will
> > return iSCSI login errors. It seems that iscsid or IOs submitted to the
> > iSCSI device by multipathd (path checker IOs, application IOs etc.)
> > trigger a login request to the target very frequently. Since we have
> > between 64 and 128 targets it ends up generating a DoS.
> >
> > Having this behaviour back as a config option would greatly help, as in
> > this particular example automatic recovery is unlikely (somebody took
> > the storage offline on the target side, it may not come back).
> >
> Actually, tweaking "node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Wait = 2" seems to
> help a lot.

DefaultTime2Wait controls the delay of initiator session + connection
reconnect.  Note this parameter is negotiated during login, and can also
be set on a per TargetName+TargetPortalGroupTag context.

>  Changing this from "2" to "10" caused the iscsi session on
> "yanked" targets to only attempt to reconnect five time less, which is
> more or less what I was looking for (mitigating the number of connection
> attempts). What you were talking about was a way for the iscsi initiator
> to eventually give up, or to change the frequency at which the initiator
> would retry?

node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout controls the timeout for
completing outstanding I/O (with error status) from open-iscsi back to
scsi-core, separate from iscsi session reconnect.