Re: Mitigating excessive iSCSI initiator connection failed errors.

On 10/03/16 06:10, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
On Tue, 2016-03-08 at 18:57 +0000, Benjamin ESTRABAUD wrote:
Hi,

I've been facing with a small issue lately when working with 128 iSCSI
targets on a single system with multiple iscsi initiators connecting to
it (3, 4 inits). If I remove the iSCSI targets or even just the ACLs
from the system even temporarily I get flooded by thousands upon
thousands of connection failures from the hosts trying to login to the
system with messages like:

[  923.560908] iSCSI Initiator Node: iqn.1994-05.com.redhat:c87d91366225
is not authorized to access iSCSI target portal group: 1.
[  923.561124] iSCSI Login negotiation failed.

These are fine in small number but when all of the hosts are combined to
so many targets the system gets overwhelmed, the kernel logger gets
flooded and the network portal thread's CPU usage ramps up to close to 100%.

Is there a way to limit those, say for instance add a timer between the
login attempt processing that gradually increases with each login failure?

I can control the hosts but it's not always evident as a solution
(sometimes the initiators have been improperly configured and I get back
in the same situation).

Thanks in advance!

All these network portal login failures should be using
pr_warn_ratelimited() instead of pr_err().

Care to send a patch for that..?
Hi Nicholas,

That's a good pointer, thanks. We will try that, although the "heavy" part of the flood might be in processing the login attempts vs printing it. We will let you know and send a patch if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Ben.