Re: Ring buffer in TCMU, and queue depth/max sectors in Loopback device

On 01/13/2016 02:25 PM, Sheng Yang wrote:
What's bothered me is what would happen if the speed of block layer
sending command is faster than TCMU userspace can handle, e.g. due to
temporarily network interrupt or network downgrade. Then it may result
in command TIMEDOUT, thus result in upper layer error as well. Since
block layer would only send queue_depth mount a command, so they won't
try more command in the case of ring can hold all of them, and wait
for userspace to handle, which is more gracefully way of handling
things.

Yes, good point, true.

I wonder how existing hardware and software handles this.

Sure, and I would like to check the possibility of zero-copy as well.
There are many things we could potentially improve TCMU.

Sure. Did you want to get into talking about zero copy now? Are there any ways to do this that don't involve page flipping or Infiniband?

As I said, I am worrying about ring buffer result in kernel reports
hardware error, at least that can be prevented by use a buffer
adjusted according to queue_depth and max_sectors.

What values relative to the TCMU ring buffer's size would you propose for those two values?

Regards -- Andy