Re: What are valid iscsi iqn names?

On 12/24/2015 09:07 AM, Zhu Lingshan wrote:
Hi experts,

I am working on a patch for Targetcli, I have some fix plans, hope can get your suggestions, thanks! The patch want to fix a bug of Targetcli, that is if we leave iSCSI name empty when create
 a iSCSI target like this:

/> iscsi/ create
Invalid iqn wwn: iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.leap_targetcli.x8664:sn.dd5521da2386
/>

we will see that error above, the reason is, "leap_targetcli" in the target name, this part of the automatic generated has a "_", which will be rejected by the
function "is_valid_wwn(wwn_type, wwn, wwn_list=None)"

Replacing them with a dash when auto-generating might be an option.

This function will judge whether this wwn is valid, it will reject any wwn names has a " " or "_", I think that make sense, but when I read RFC3720, I find that may
be not enough.

You are right, we do not enforce full RFC3270 IQN compliance.

In RFC3720, section 3.2.6.2  it's said:

The following characters are used for formatting iSCSI names:
- dash (’-’=U+002d)
- dot (’.’=U+002e)
- colon (’:’=U+003a)

So I assume that, "-", "." and ":" are acceptable in a iqn wwn name, other special characters
like "!","@" and "$" should  be rejected. But I did not see that code in
function "is_valid_wwn(wwn_type, wwn, wwn_list=None)"

Again, you are right.

I wonder whether I am understanding this right. Hope can get some suggestions from you, If I understand that right, I will write a patch to fix it, that means, add some code lines to
reject characters like "!" and "&".  Thanks!

Another thing is, I find Targetcli will add host name in the automatic generated iSCSI wwn name,
Like :
/> iscsi/ create
Invalid iqn wwn: iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.leap_targetcli.x8664:sn.dd5521da2386
/>

This part "leap_targetcli" is my host name, which has a "_", I also want to fix this one, shall we change "_" to "-" when handle such a host name or we can remove host name in a automatic generated iSCSI wwn name?

I think doing some automated conversion to dash is a way to do it, yes.

Funny however that you embark on this and have a "_" in your hostname, which is _not_ a legal character in https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc952.txt hostnames! :-) The reasoning behind not checking the hostname to autogenerate the IQN is that hostnames normally should only contain a-z, 0-9 and "-" chars, which all are legal in RFC3270. The reasoning behind letting user-generated IQNs be more flexible is that at the time legacy systems were using non-RFC3270 chars already and needed this for compatibility. Basically, if your initiator supports it, you are free as the sysadmin to follow the RFC or not.

But I am not arguing here that we should not enforce RFC3270, that would of course be cleaner. As for the hostname, well, assuming they would be valid RFC952 obviously has its limits, so yes, we might want to do something about it.

Best Regards,
--
Jerome Martin