Re: CPU soft lockup during iscsi connection close with 3.18.16

On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 01:18 -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-12-17 at 11:37 -0500, Vedavyas Duggirala wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for your response,
> >
> > > Seeing these occasionally on a loaded system is not unusual.  Seeing
> > > them ongoing at multiple times a second as in your logs below, means
> > > your backend is having trouble completing I/Os within that 5 second
> > > latency requirement for ESX iSCSI.
> > >
> > > As mentioned in the thread above, you can try reducing the
> > > default_cmdsn_depth or NodeACL cmdsn_depth on the target side, to reduce
> > > the number of active I/Os each initiator can keep in flight in parallel.
> > >
> > > Since your using such a larger number of ESX hosts (~20) connected to a
> > > single target, the default_cmdsn_depth = 64 value is certainly too high
> > > for you.
> >
> > I have checked the backend storage configuration. The machine is
> > serving luns off SSDs. I verified our stats,
> > there was not  a whole lot of IO happening at that time (20-100 IOPS).
> > In fact, other that ESX  health checks and heartbeats,
> > nothing  was writing to the disk.
> >
> > Disabling ATS for heartbeats on that lun, seems to help stability. It
> > has been running fine without issues for three weeks,
> > as opposed to a hang every week.
> >
> > I have the same issue happen on a smaller 8 node ESX cluster. There
> > too disabling ATS for heartbeat helps.
> >
> > These results are without reducing default_cmdsn_depth. I will try
> > that out in the next maintenance window.
>
> Disabling ATS means VMFS metadata updates are done using coarse grained
> LUN locking with SCSI reservations, instead of fine grained VMFS extent
> locks with ATS.
>
> That is, the amount of I/O bandwidth with ATS enabled is considerably
> larger with multiple ESX hosts, because multiple ESX hosts can WRITE in
> parallel to a single VMFS LUN, with ESX hosts owning different VMFS
> extent.
>
> So the issue with your RBD backend configuration resulting in >= 5
> second I/O latencies with fined grained ATS locking doing lots of single
> sector READ/WRITEs for VMFS extent ownership, is now effectively being
> masked with coarse grained VMFS locking.
>
> As mentioned, the resulting RCU stalls you've observed with v3.18.y
> still seem to be related to RBD not (ever..?) completing outstanding
> bios back to IBLOCK.

Also WRT to ATS, there has been one recent upstream bug-fix yet to make
it back to v3.18.y stable code:

target: Fix race for SCF_COMPARE_AND_WRITE_POST checking
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/target?id=057085e522f8bf94c2e691a5b76880f68060f8ba

I don't think you're actively triggering this specific bug, but it
certainly wouldn't hurt to have it applied.

--nab