Re: TCMU - developing virtual DVD Blu-ray writer

On 06/12/2015 02:38 AM, Bala wrote:
I am new to this list so apologies if I am posting this in the wrong list.

I would like to implement a virtual SCSI device for Optical drive with
read & write support.

I prefer to implement it in user space due to its simplicity. I came
here to ask your help in choosing the frame work to implement this:
SCST or LIO

I think both offers frame works to implement this in user space.
However, I am unsure of the extensive support these two, scst_user &
tcmu, provides support for Optical Drive SCSI commands.

I would be grateful if you could kindly let me know whether the
followings are possible.

1. Can Optical Disc writing and other related commands be implemented
using TCMU?
2. Does TCMU has any limitation to achieve the goal?
3. Would scst_user offer better support for implementing this.
4. Would tcmu performance enough for Bluray movie playback.

Hi Bala,

For TCMUv2, everything's just buffers and data. Optical disc SCSI commands will get passed to userspace just like everything else, so I don't see why not. Regarding SCST I really can't say from a technical perspective which might be better, but I will say that TCMU is still in development and a corrected version (TCMUv2) still has not made it into a released kernel. You might start implementing this on SCST, or alternatively tgt. Once you have it working on one target, you or someone else could adapt it to any other target relatively easily.

Happy hacking, and please let us know how it goes! :-)

Regards -- Andy