How can I reload LIO/target-cli?

I have a LIO iSCSI target with disks that are mounted/initalized AFTER boot with the help of a rc.local script. (eg, they don’t exist in /dev at all until some commands has been run)

However, when LIO loads at boot, it finds that the backstores are nonexistant, and deletes them, causing the connected LUNs to be invalid. Is it some way to disable this behaviour, so it keeps non-existant drives in /backstores, AND is it possible in some way to reload LIO with the help of a command? (that I can put in the rc.local script once all disks in /dev has been bringed up). Clearing LIO (deleting all backstores, target and LUNS) and then reinitalizing the LIO with new backstores and LUNS in the rc.local script are acceptable too, if they can be done entirely from a script. Seems I need to echo things into target-cli right?

Any ideas?

Best regards, Sebastian Nielsen