Re: [RFC] Add support for BIDI operations in TCMU

Hi Andy,

Please find my comments inline.

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 12:15PM, Andy Grover wrote:
> On 04/01/2015 08:35 AM, Ilias Tsitsimpis wrote:
> >Hi Nicholas & Andy,
> >I am working on adding support for BIDI operations to the TCM Userspace
> >module and I would like to discuss the implementation details with you,
> >before submitting the patches.
>
> <snip correct analysis>
>
> >The problem is, that BIDI commands need both data-in and data-out
> >buffers, but the current tcmu_cmd_entry only contains a single iov_cnt
> >field.
>
> Hi Ilias,
>
> I'm not too familiar with BIDI ops, but using XDWRITEREAD as an example, I
> think we could specify that req.iov[] contains Data-In initially and then
> Data-Out overwrites req.iov[] (which must be sized as max(in, out)). Or, if
> overwriting Data-In is best avoided, then we can size req.iov[] for both and
> find where the Data-Out section starts without requiring the new field.

I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting. How can we find
where the Data-Out section starts without requiring the new field? Even
when req.iov[] is sized as max(in, out), don't we need to pass both
Data-In and Data-Out buffer lengths? Can you elaborate a bit?

(As an aside note, it seems your narration has reversed the meaning of
Data-In and Data-Out buffers, but this does not affect our discussion).

Cheers,
Ilias