Re: [RFC] ATA over ethernet LIO target

Hi Christoph,

On 02.04.2015 10:29, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> [..]
> For that case writing a SCSI target would be more useful I think.  One
> protocol that is really missing is SAS, and I think a SAS target using
> libsas should be fairly doable, especially for chips like the mvsas
> family that is heavily used in targets.

I think, youre right, that SAS is another useful case. But for learning
AoE seems more interesting for me. Additionally, the SAS part is the
device-part, AoE ist the network-part. So if Ming Li want to learn the
network-part, SAS is the wrong thing.

>> And also hope it could be useful.
> I think a mainline ATAoE target would be very useful, but I doubt it
> should be merged into LIO, there just isn't a whole lot of overlap.

Ok, that is a point i dont know. Imho LIO is a framework for exporting
devices over net in different ways (iscsi, fiber, aoe, udp ;-) ), so I
could imagine, that AoE is a relativly easy part to implement:

@Ming Lin: If you need a tester for Aoe, ich would do it. I used Aoe in
different ways and would be glad to see support in LIO. It would solve
different problems for me.

In general, I follow the discusion for AoE in LIO for several years
(2011?) and the arguments against it werent convincing to me. The only
case I could is the uselessness for the data storage system of Datera,
the company of Nicholas. But for Datera this could be another unique
selling point, after coraid is no longer on the market.

Just my 2ct

Oilver