Re: synchronize files between two initiators

On 15 Feb 2015, at 22:48, ayaka <ayaka@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi:
> I have a problem with that, there are two initiators connected to
> the same target, I copy some files(write some data) into the target in
> a initiator, then the other initiator can't know that. What is the
> problem? The file system is XFS.
> Thank you

Hi ayaka,

The problem is that you are not using a cluster-aware filesystem.

Traditional filesystems like ext2/3/4, XFS, JFS and friends are designed to be used by a single machine per disk - pointing two machines at the same disk will not work. This is because they don’t know about other nodes and assume they can cache data in ways that break down when there are more nodes. Mounting the same disk in two places will lead to some very nasty filesystem corruption.

If you really want to do this, I suggest you look at filesystems like GFS or ocfs2 (on Linux). Note that neither is as simple as running mkfs then mounting.

You may also be interested in other approaches to the same problem, such as GlusterFS or Ceph.

HTH,
Chris

--
Chris Boot