Re: name matter of tpgt_1/lun/lun_0/<link2iblock> ?

Hi Oliver,

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 11:53 +0200, Oliver Rath wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I try to reproduce the creating of an iscsi-target via iblock device as
> shown in lio_node and tcm_node. Taken from
> http://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/Linux-IO_Target_%28LIO%29_unter_Ubuntu_14.04#FILEIO_.28Linux_VFS_devices.29
> with targetcli:
>

> |cd /backstores/iblock|
> |create name=iscsi dev=/dev/sdb|
> |cd /iscsi|
> create
> |cd
> iscsi/root@dmicrash:iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.dmicrash.x8664:sn.a5bb4cf3e6cd/tpgt1/portals
> # in my case
> create
> cd ../luns|
> create /backstores/iblock/iscsi
> # works fine, but here is my question point
>
> Now I tried the same with generic commands:
> cd /sys/kernel/config/target/core/
> mkdir iblock_1
> cd iblock_1
> mkdir iblock_clone6/
> echo "udev_path=/dev/myvg/clone6" > control
> echo  -n 1 > enable
>
> # Now we can create the iscsi-Target
>
> cd cd /sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi/
> mkdir iqn.2012-03.org.clone6.liotarget
> cd iqn.2012-03.org.clone6.liotarget
> mkdir tpgt_1
> cd tpgt_1
> mkdir -p tpgt_1/lun/lun_0
> cd tpgt_1/lun/lun_0
> ---- break ----
> Here exists in the dir made by targetcli a link with the name
> "81eb98828f", which points to the iblock device. This seems to be a 5
> byte hex-number.
> Now my question: How is this number generated? Does the name matter for
> functionality? It seems there a separate number for all links. Im able
> to create the link with my own name and all seems ok.
> --- break end ---
> ln -s ../../../../../../target/core/iblock_1/iblock_clone6/ my_own_link
> cd ../../np
> mkdir '192.168.96.254:3260'
> cd ..
> echo 1 > enable
>

> This all works and the output in targetcli shows me an enabled target
> pointing to /dev/myvg/clone6.
>
> Is this a possible alternative to generate a target. Do I have to
> prepare a special name for this link?

The LUN configfs symlink destination name is created from a uuid in the
following rtslib code:

https://github.com/Datera/rtslib/blob/master/rtslib/target.py#L407

There is no hard requirement from the kernel side for this to be a
unique value, and IIRC is only used for indexing purposes by rtslib.

That said, I'd still recommend using rtslib and/or targetcli for driving
the configuration in real-world usage scenarios, beyond poking at
configfs directly to better understand how the underlying system
functions.

--nab