Re: serializing access to configfs

On 08/19/2014 01:46 PM, Jerome Martin wrote:
The tradeoff we have to arbitrate if going with this is:

- Simple to implement and follow convention for writing new configfs
access layers means we immediately enable people to write kind 1 tools,
and be reasonably safe.

- A tool of kind 2 providing concurrent config management for remote
APIs would probably need close to exclusive access to configfs in order
to be robust, making it impossible to coexist with other kind 1 and kind
2 tools in any useful way.

If this is an acceptable tradeoff, then we know what to do, as BCL is
simpler to implement as a convention for low-level access.

If, however, there are use cases where we need two kind 2 high-level
"config managers" based on different configfs access layers to coexist,
then we should start thinking about a way to provide per-object locking
that can be reliably used by implementing a simple cross-language
convention.

What do you think?

So you're saying we have a simple BCL but we let an entity grab and hold it continuously, so all future accesses need to go through the entity?

-- Andy