Drive renaming causes all kinds of craziness

I'm not sure what category this would go under -

I'm evaluating RHEL 7, so the version is whatever they're using.  It looks like kernel 3.10.0-123.1.2.el7.x86_64 with targetcli version 2.1.fb34

So for testing purposes I did a few things that you wouldn't normally do in a production environment.

The server is running two 4 disk RAID 10 arrays on an Adaptec 8805 controller.

On the original setup it had /dev/sda as the boot drive, /dev/sdb as the first array and /dev/sdc as the second array.

So for fun I removed one of the arrays while the server was running - I removed the array from targetcli, parted, and finally from the RAID controller, and then swapped the disks out and made a new array, then ran partprobe.  The new array was automatically assigned /dev/sdd, which I partitioned using parted and assigned to LUN's as block backstores using targetcli.  I saved the config.

Then I rebooted the server.  You can probably guess what happened - /dev/sdd became /dev/sdb.  Target refused to start initially, then when I started targetcli it wiped the entire configuration.  It didn't just remove the disk that it couldn't find (/dev/sdd which is now /dev/sdb), it removed everything.  All the luns, iscsi targets, and backstores.

So two questions:
1. Is this expected behavior?
2. Is there a better way to refer to a physical disk partition in targetcli than /dev/sdd1?

Thank you