Re: [Open-FCoE] System crashes with increased drive count

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 17:00 +0000, Rustad, Mark D wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2014, at 2:45 PM, Jun Wu <jwu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The queue_depth is 32 by default. So all my previous tests were based
> > on 32 queue_depth.
> >
> > The result of my tests today confirms that with higher queue_depth,
> > there are more aborts on the initiator side and corresponding
> > "Exchange timer armed : 0 msecs" messages on the target side.
> > I tried queue_depth = 1, 2, 3, and 6. For 1 and 2, there is no abort
> > or any abnormal messages. For 3, there are 15 instances of aborts and
> > 15 instances of "0 msecs" messages. When queue_depth increased to 6,
> > there are 81 instances of the aborts and 81 instances of "0 msecs"
> > messages for the same fio test.
>
> <snip>
>
> > When the abort occurs, "iostat -x 1" command on the target side starts
> > to show 0 iops on some of the drives. Sometimes all the 10 target
> > drives have 0 iops.
> >
> > What is the reasonable number to assume for the maximum number of
> > outstanding IO?

As mentioned before "It completely depends on the fabric, initiator, and
backend storage.", see related text for more details.

> You mentioned previously that fewer drives also worked better. The combination of workarounds, reduced queue depth or fewer drives, makes me wonder if there is a power issue in the system housing the drives. It is surprisingly common for a fully-populated system to not really have adequate power for fully active drives. Under those conditions, the drives can have a variety of symptoms ranging from pausing I/O to resetting. When that happens, the target will definitely be overloaded, things will time out and aborts will happen. If things work well with one or two fewer drives with full queue depth, I would really suspect a power, or possibly cooling issue rather than a software issue.
>
> It is even possible that there is a vibration issue in the chassis that results in the drives interfering with one another and causing error recovery related I/O interruptions that could also result in timeouts and exchange aborts.

Using ramdisks instead backend disks could confirm and isolate to
backend issues.

> Nab, earlier you mentioned generating a busy response. I think that is a good thing to be able to do. It is a little complicated because different initiators have different timeouts. Ideally, you'd like to generate the busy response shortly before the initiator times out. Although that might reduce the logging in this case, I really suspect that not having that capability is not the root cause of the remaining issue here.

If target sends queue full to hosts based on pending back long instead
re-acting upon data out failures could avoid host timeouts, that will be
inline to described ideal scenario above.

Thanks,
Vasu