Re: out of order chap

Hi Rahul,

On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 15:37 +0530, rahul.rane wrote:
> Hi,
> RFC 3720 Clause 11.1.4 says that the iSCSI target is expected to send a
> Login reject when it receives the CHAP_A value out of order

So with Tejas's (CC'ed) updated patch in place to support CHAP_A values
as a comma separated list, this particular test will now error out if
CHAP_A is not the first key=value received.

For reference, that patch queued for v3.16-rc1 is here:

iscsi-target: Fix CHAP_A parameter list handling
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/nab/target-pending.git/commit/?h=for-next&id=3160723c49605965628c3ee7699e5e956c4f8f51

> However ,i find that LIO is accepting the out of order CHAP_A and sends
> a Login success which is an error. Similarly same issues are found for
> out of order CHAP_N,CHAP_I,and CHAP_C.

So by 'out of order' I assume you mean sending CHAP_X keys in the wrong
step definition, right..?  That is, I don't think there is a requirement
to ensure CHAP_X keys are in a particular order, as long as they are
received in the correct step definition.

> please find the attachment for pcap.
>
> RFC 3720 Clause 11.1.4
> ----------<snip>-----------
> For CHAP, in the first step, the initiator MUST use: CHAP_A=A1,A2; where
> A1,A2... are proposed algorithms, in order of preference.
> The target MUST answer with a Login reject with the "Authentication
> Failure"
> ----------<snip>-----------

The question is what happens when a CHAP_X key is received in the wrong
step definition..?  Today, as long as the expected CHAP_X key(s) are
received in a specific step definition, all other keys not associated
with the step definition are ignored.

Based upon the wording in Section 8.2:

   Whenever an iSCSI target gets a response whose keys, or their values,
   are not according to the step definition, it MUST answer with a Login
   reject with the "Initiator Error" or "Missing Parameter" status.

what needs to happen is once the expected CHAP_X keys are received and
complete the step definition, any other key=value pairs will
automatically trigger a authentication failure.

I need to think a bit more about how that patch should look, but please
expect something to test over the next days.

Thanks!

--nab