Re: [ANN] LIO userspace improvements

Hi Andy,

On 02/27/2014 08:15 PM, Andy Grover wrote:

Good to see your email. Wow, a quantum leap!

Thanks!

Some things that might also be addressed include:

- There's a possibility that configuration operations by different users of rtslib (maybe even the same user and app, but in a different window) might be operating on configfs at the same time, and this could cause big trouble. Establishing a convention for a fcntl-based lock that accessors of configfs acquire might be enough to resolve this, or maybe the commit/rollback feature might help?

Yes. I know you are concerned about this (I saw your session patches) and I have been thinking about how to handle this best. I have a range of solutions in mind, but would like to discuss that on the ML to pick the more appropriate. First of all, I plan to make the candidate configuration persistent accross sessions. Then provide 3 options for config mode:

1) shared - everyone edits the same config. This is ok, as every operation is atomic: all load/set/merge/etc. ops are staged first, checked in the stage and _then_ pushwed to the candidate config. Also, we always consider the diff of the current config against the actual running system just before commit, so the window to get out-of-sync is small. If a diff still exists after commit, one would just have to redo the commit. Which in fact could be automated I guess.

2) locked. You lock the access to the global candidate, no-one else can enter config mode or do changes.

3) private. You enter config mode using your own private candidate.

Note that "info" gives you a full history of the operations that affected the current candidate config, which you can undo if you want.

Of course, this is for the cli itself, and the configuration API. As for accessing the configfs layer, either directly or through legacy rtslib objects, there would always be a way of bypassing any mechanism in place, so I would prefer to have sane synchronisation in the upper levels.

At the API level though, having a lock might be the most pragmatic way to handle the access to rtlib lower-layers.

- better support for configuring ALUA? I don't think this made it into rtslib.

Yes, this is on my todo list, as well as NPIV support, and access to PR and sessions information.

But overall, yeah, the direction you've started to lay out could be a big step in improving the accessibility of LIO's capabilities.

That's encouraging, thanks.

Looking forward to see where it goes, and possible community development opportunities.
Me too, and I sincerely hope that I'll get some help to make that a great configuration and admin environment :-)

Regards,
--
Jerome