Re: Bug with FILEIO and devices when using VMware

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 02:29 +0100, Henrik Goldman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So lets assume the situation that you create an image file using
> targetcli and export this using FILEIO to ESXi. When you format the
> volume inside VMware then everything is fine and works well...
>
> Now repeat the same thing but instead of an image you create the image
> based on the device e.g. /dev/md0 (for mdadm raid). Theoretically this
> should work as well since targetcli says everything is ok.
> However the reality is that VMware spits out error messages during the
> format of the disk.

Care to include to dmesg output on the target side when this occurs..?

> Am I missing something or should the two scenarios work the same way?

Yes, however following bugfix wrt FILEIO + struct block_device export
was included in v3.10-rc3 code, and CC'ed to stable for all kernels back
to v3.5.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e3e84cda321703b123f36488f50700f371bc7230

Please confirm this particular patch has been applied to the kernel in
question.

--nab