Re: SCSI OP 2ah with too big sectors 2056 exceeds backend hw_max_sectors: 2048

Hi Henrik,

On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 15:37 +0100, Henrik Goldman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're having a setup running with Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 for target and
> VMware 5.1/5.5 as the client. In this setup we're using 4 Gbit FC using
> QLA2460 adapters. Everything works quite well except we keep on getting
> kernel warnings like:
>
> [1401151.960377] SCSI OP 2ah with too big sectors 2056 exceeds backend
> hw_max_sectors: 2048
>
> This happens every few seconds and is consistent across several systems.
>
> Our setup is Raid 10 and 5 using mdadm using FILEIO in buffered mode. We
> chose this since it gives really great performance and uses memory for
> caching.
>
> However from what I read then this value 2048 is hardcoded into the kernel
> and there is no way of changing this.
> Am I right on this?
>
> Any way to get this fixed or some workarounds for this?

A bit of background here..

This requirement is enforced in FILEIO specifically for 4k block_size in
order to prevent greater than 2k iovecs being passed into
vfs_[writev,readv] logic, a limitation of the total number of iovecs
enforced by logic in the VFS below FILEIO code.

However with a 512 byte block_size, this effectively limits the max
request size to 1MB, as you've reported above.

A quick work-around here is to increase FD_MAX_SECTORS to 4096 or 8192
(2MB or 4MB max request size), as with ESX you'll only be using 512
block_size, so this will be OK.

I'm considering a couple of difference approaches here for a proper
solution, but changing FD_MAX_SECTOR to a larger value for 512
block_size should get you up and running.

Also, I'd recommend explicitly setting the ESX side max request size to
the new FD_MAX_SECTOR * block_size.

--nab