Re: Support for iSNS?

Hi Christophe,

On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 22:06 +0200, Christophe Vu-Brugier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the LIO iSCSI target and I am very happy with it.
>
> I would like to register my iSCSI targets to an iSNS server. I found
> this page on linux-iscsi.org, but its content seems outdated.
>
>   http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/ISNS
>
> I tried linuxisns [1] and open-isns [2] but I did not manage to make
> them work. Moreover, they are probably not maintained anymore.

Indeed, these codebases have not gotten some love in a number of years..

> What is the best user space tool to register a LIO iSCSI target with
> an iSNS server?

Unfortunately, there is not yet an iSNS client that works with the
modern iscsi-target code.

> Also, since the iSCSI target is implemented in the
> Linux kernel, would that make sense to implement an iSNS client in the
> kernel too? Are there plans for that or do you think it's better to
> implement this feature in user space?

There is no requirement for the iSNS client to reside kernel-space, and
it makes the most sense for it to be a user-space process.

Really, all a simple iSNS client needs to do is walk the configfs /
rtslib hierarchy, and report the current iscsi-target configuration (eg:
TargetName+TargetPortalGroupTag + Network Portals) to the iSNS server.

It should also be smart enough to query and unregister entities that no
longer exist in the local configuration.

--nab