Re: fileio + wb cache streaming write performance on raid5

Hi Vladislav,

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 18:18 +0300, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating performance of different targets (actually LIO and IET)
> on top of RAID5
> (mdraid) for my customer.
>
> In this particular test (streaming write in several threads) load is
> provided by a windows 7
> machine with robocopy and its default settings (8 threads).
>
> As expected, blockio writes are slow for both targets (~33 Mb/s), fileio
> with wb cache performs better.
>
> What is really weird, is that kernel version affects fileio+wb a lot,
> but in a different directions
> for targets.
>
> I have similar iscsi parameters for both targets (except 3.4's LIO misses
> MaxRecvDataSegmentLength), and I set Wthreads=2 for IET.
>
> What I see:
>
> IET (with fileio+wb) shows:
>
>   * 75 MB/s with kernel 3.4 (from debian)
>   * 85 MB/s with kernel 3.9
>
> LIO (with fileio+wb) shows:
>
>   * 63 MB/s with kernel 3.4 (from debian)
>   * 54 MB/s with kernel 3.9
>
> Is there any explanation for LIO performance degradation with the kernel
> upgrade?

Strange.  Can you verify using a TPG attribute default_cmdsn_depth value
larger than the hardcoded default of 16..?

IIRC, IET is using a larger CmdSN window by default here, so you'll want
to increase default_cmdsn_depth=128 with this type of workload.

Also, verifying with a RAMDISK_MCP backend on the same setup would be
useful for determining if it's a FILEIO specific performance issue.

Thanks for reporting!

--nab