Re: rtslib vs rtslib-fb (was Re: Missing objects in targetcli)

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 11:10 -0700, Andy Grover wrote:
> On 05/01/2013 05:54 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> >  From what I can tell, OpenSuse incorrectly switched to the bogus
> > upstream version of rtslib on PYPI here: (CC'ing hare + saschpe)
> >
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?expand=1&file=python-rtslib.changes&package=python-rtslib&project=openSUSE%3AFactory
> >
> > This version has since been removed from PYPI, and is/was not compatible
> > with the upstream targetcli either..
>
> Just to be clear, the version of rtslib-fb that was on pypi as 'rtslib'
> was not 'bogus', although it is correct that -fb versions are
> incompatible with RTS Community Edition versions.

As a matter of fact, yes, it is 'bogus'.

It's bogus because it was being portrayed as the official upstream on
python.org, without ever asking Jerome or myself if that was OK.

And you never bothered to worry about the confusion it has been causing
other distributions, given it's incompatibility with upstream targetlci
consumer code, that I'm still having to sort out.

Seriously, I should not have to tell not to portray a downstream fork as
upstream.

> It indicated it was a
> fb pkg through the version, not the package name, which was a mistake by
> me. I moved the packaging on pypi to 'rtslib-fb' immediately, when you
> alerted me of the confusion.

In the future, please avoid making decisions in private wrt to upstream
rtslib/configshell/targetcli that effect the entire ecosystem if your
not going to consider the ramifications of your actions all the way
through.

--nab