Re: Buffered fileio I/O write latency over LIO

On Apr 11, 2013, at 11:53 AM, Nicholas A. Bellinger <nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My guess is that something between writeback and the RAID10 is blocking
> incoming WRITEs.

Don't forget about the drives themselves. I have found that even when using "near-line" class SATA drives, they will sometimes go off and spend time doing something like some track validation. 1 - 2 seconds is in line with what I have seen. I have not seen that behavior with lower capacity "real" enterprise drives, generally with SAS or FC interfaces.

Of course it is not really so much about the interface, but rather the techniques that the drive makers use to ensure reliability with the really high capacity drives.

Are the two systems being compared using the same make and model of drives?

--
Mark Rustad, Networking Division, Intel Corporation--