Re: Playing with qla2xxx FC target; running into issues

On 03/11/2012 20:04, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 15:46 +0000, Chris Boot wrote:
I basically did a 'make clean' in my kernel tree, and rebuilt with
gcc-4.6 on a whim (Debian default is gcc-4.7, but Debian build their
kernels with 4.6). There was also a 3.2.x kernel update for Debian which
I installed on the initiator, but that's clearly not what made a
difference as the HBA boot code and Windows both work with the target
now. Consider me very confused.

Mmmm, I don't see why gcc would have an effect here.  The INQUIRY bug
mentioned could be having an effect, as some initiators really don't
like getting EVPD=0x83 filled with uninitialized memory..  ;)

I agree. Perhaps when I applied the patch the affected files weren't rebuilt for some reason. Ah the joys of make.

Obviously now I'll be doing a bunch more testing, and rebooting my
target and initiator a lot to see if it all breaks again.

Cool.  FYI you'll want to also grab v3.6.6 when it comes out to make
your target build has the following patches that are now in
stable-queue.git:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/nab/target-pending.git;a=commitdiff;h=c8292d1da53fa60c7516ab03a9d83f7ea266d335
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/nab/target-pending.git;a=commitdiff;h=e13d5fef88c40b87c8430f8274c3a9ca32ef90bc

Noted. Thanks, I'll make sure to keep my eye out for it.

So far, it seems to be holding up very well. Much faster and lower latency than iSCSI over gigabit ethernet, of course... :-)

Cheers,
Chris

--
Chris Boot