Re: remaining target_submit_cmd conversions

On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 10:49 -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> There still are various fabric drivers using old command submission
> sequences.
>
> target_setup_cmd_from_cdb and transport_handle_cdb_direct are still used by:
>
>  - srpt - IIRC Nick mentioned he had patches for this one, which need to
> 	be resurrected

Yes, this still needs to be extracted from lio-core-2.6.git, so it will
most likely be an v3.8 item at this point.

>  - tcm_loop - seems like the S/G list reuse here is the problem, we'd
> 	just need an additional argument to target_submit_cmd to make
> 	this happen
>  - tcm_vhost - same as tcm_loop, but it's really sad that all the old
> 	copy & paste submission path still gets added to a new driver

OK, just sent out patches to convert tcm_loop + tcm_vhost to the generic
I/O submission path.  Please have a look.

> The iscsi target not only uses those two above but also has a really
> odd call straight though to transport_generic_new_cmd.  In fact the
> whole command submission in the iscsi target is very non-standard
> copared to the other drivers, and I can't find an obvious excuse
> why.

For iscsi-target this ends up being overly complicated with the multiple
combinations of immediate data + unsolicited data-out in the existing
code paths.  Andy mentioned doing this once before and I thought it
would end up adding too much complexity to target_submit_cmd() for the
benefit, but am still happy to be proved wrong here.  ;)

--nab