Re: OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/sys/kernel/config/target/qla2xxx/<WWN>

On 09/13/2012 01:06 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 01:01:52PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 13:05 -0400, Daniel Lane wrote:
>>> Hello, I am having the same problem reported here (with any
>>> resolution) http://www.spinics.net/lists/target-devel/msg02618.html
>>> and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/targetcli/+bug/1040404
>>>

>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> The mainline version of qla2xxx by default runs in initiator mode
>> enabled only.  In order to enable qla2xxx to run in target mode, you'll
>> need to follow the instructions from the wiki here:
>>
>> http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/Fibre_Channel#Enable_target_mode
>
> Maybe targetcli should a report a useful error including that link
> instead of throwing an exception no one understands?

FWIW rtslib-fb will catch the OSError and convert it to an
RTSLibError("could not create <foo> in configFS"). The backtrace is
avoided but the error message is still unhelpful.

All fabrics are supported in rtslib via a single Target class that looks
at the .spec file for per-fabric differences, so we can't just override
a method to print a better diagnostic for qla2xxx.

What would really be nice is if we could put a given iface into target
mode at runtime - the solution on the wiki appears to do it for all
ifaces and require a module reload. Then we could add another hook in
the qla .spec, and rtslib could enable target mode automatically on the
ifaces as they were added in targetcli, which would be slick.

How hard would it be for qla_target.c to expose a per-iface sysfs
attribute to change active_mode?

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy