On initiator names, ACLs and sessions info

Hello LIO people,
I am approaching LIO just now.
I am using targetcli from Ubuntu 12.04, and kernel 3.4

First impression is that it is bothersome to have an ACL for every client who wants to connect. I tried to use wildcards like "*" for parts of initiatorname iqn in ACLs, but that does not appear to work. Is there a way to have wildcards in IQNs in acls?

Alternatively, if I set all initiators of different hosts to have the same name, would that work? I have read on previous mailing list messages that this could cause issues in LIO if the same LUN is accessed concurrently such as in case of GFS (more details would be appreciated). But is that safe if different LUNs are accessed?

Also in demo mode I seem not able to see which clients are connected. I have no way to determine their initiatorname. E.g. I wanted to connect a qemu guest and I didn't know what its iqn was. I could connect it only in demo mode but even after that I could not set up an ACL properly because its iqn was still not visible anywhere in /sys /proc or configfs. I had to look at qemu source code to determine its iqn.

Also I have not understood the use of generate_node_acls=1 (as set in the tpgt) . By the name it would seem that for every initiator who connects in demo mode, LIO would create an entry into:
/iscsi/iqn*/tpgt1/acls/<initiatorname>
unfortunately if this is the purpose it does not work. I don't see any new initiatorname at that path when I connect in demo mode.

Thanks for any help
J.