Re: Trim Support on ext4 Fileio

On 04/23/2012 12:44 PM, Stefan Gourguis wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i have a Question about SSD and Trim on Lio-Target
>
> 1. I format my ssd with ext4 and mount it with the discard option
> 2. i create a fileio backstor on this partition
> 3. i serve this to an host via lio qla2xx target module
> 4. The Host format this Target writeing some files on it and then delete it
> 5. Will the Trim Command on the ext4 partition occur when the files
> are deleted in the fileio container file ?

1) Host needs to also be configured to issue discards
2) Linux needs a kernel API in the block layer to reissue discards. This
is coming soon, see Martin Petersen's "write same support v4" thread on
linux-scsi.
3) LIO needs to use the API. Nick has indicated this is a high priority
once the underlying kernel support is there.

HTH -- Regards -- Andy