VMware ESXi 5 and LIO target: "WRITE_SAME w/o UNMAP bit not supported for Block Discard Emulation"

Dear all,

Maybe you can give me a hint on how I can proceed on this topic:

I am using Vmware 5.0 connected to a LIO target hosting the (shared) vmfs
volume.
Whenever files are being copied or written to the vmfs volume the copy
/write process on VMware gets hung.
When this happens multiple messages are logged in the kernel log of the LIO
target system:

WRITE_SAME w/o UNMAP bit not supported for Block Discard Emulation

The "Implementing EMC SYMMETRIX VIRTUAL PROVISIONING WITH VMWARE VSPHERE"
white paper from EMC states that VMware in not setting the UNMAP bit by
intention:
(page 13) "It is important to note that VMware ESX/ESXi only make use of
WRITE SAME without the unmap bit set and therefore are unable to deallocate
blocks".

So this seems to me as if LIO and VMware ESXi 5.0 are at the moment not
interoperable with each other.

Version information:
VMWare 5.0 (patch level 474610)
VMFS5 volume on Target LUN, 1TB LUN size
Fedora Core Linux (Rawhide)
Kernel  3.1.0-0.rc10.git0.1.fc17.x86_64
iSCSI version: v4.1.0-rc1
TCM_FC version: 3.1.0-0.rc10.git0.1.fc17.x86_64
TCM Loopback version: v2.1-rc1

Reproducing the issue seems to be quite easy:
- Create a LUN and mount it on the ESXi server
- Format the LUN with VMFS5 (this interestingly works)
- SSH to the ESXi box and simply copy a simple file (e.g. /sbin/vmkfstools)
to the vmfs volume

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Best regards
Sven

P.S.
The EMC white paper can be found here:
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=symmetrix%20virtual%20provisioning%20w
ith%20vmware%20vsphere&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2F
www.vmware.com%2Ffiles%2Fpdf%2Ftechpaper%2Fwp_symmetrix_virtual_provisioning
_vsphere4.pdf&ei=LIGrTo-9MMSLhQe47pHnDw&usg=AFQjCNE8dvliupcNY_eEs4mq4SlzRxse
_A&cad=rja