Re: NAA breakage

Hi Nicholas,

Ok, i'll likely have to end up reverting this to the old logic to avoid
this all together for -rc3, but I would really like to know the severity
of this first for the 'inactive umounted VMFS volume' case.  I think
that forcing existing users to have to do this is not completely out of
the question when upgrading from out-of-tree ->  mainline code, but we
need to ensure that VMFS is intelligent enough to recover from this in
the first place.

Well, in case of inactive volumes, VMFS resignature is a solution. But the biggest problem is to make a volume inactive within a running vCenter cluster environment. There is nothing like "unmount" GUI command for normal datastore volumes. You can only delete them, which destroys all data on them. I've put together the following sequence of steps which seems to be a way to unpresent a volume from running vSphere cluster, change NAA identifier in LIO and add the volume back to vSphere:

(1) In vSphere Client, stop and unregister _all_ virtual machines that use the given volume. (2) Using bloody vCLI magic, mask and unpresent the LUN from _all_ ESX hosts. See VMware KB articles 1015084 and 1009449 on kb.vmware.com. (3) Make sure that the LUN paths and datastore have disappeared from vCenter inventory. (4) Change NAA identifier of the volume on LIO side (LIO upgrade in our case).
(5) Delete masking rules introduced in (2). See VMware KB 1015084.
(6) In vSphere Client, rescan storage adapters of all ESX hosts and make sure that the LUN is visible and has a new NAA. (7) Add the datastore back to vSphere inventory using "Add storage" wizard. When adding the datastore, existing VMFS volume is identified and you will be asked for VMFS mount option ... choose "Assign a new signature". (8) Datastore will be added with a name like "snap-22d9ddbe-originalname". Rename it to "originalname". (9) Using datastore browser, add the virtual machines unregistered in (1) back to vCenter inventory. (10) When powering-on a virtual machine, VMware complains about changed uuid and asks you whether the machine was moved or copied ... choose "I moved it."

After these steps, I was able to restart a virtual machine stored on the given VMFS volume. Tested on two-node vCenter cluster with VMware vSphere ESXi 4.1.

Finally, note that I'm quite sure that ESX 3.x works differently because NAA-based signatures were introduced in vSphere 4.x, but I haven't enaugh time and hardware to play with ESX 3.x too.

Martin