LIO iscsi-target in mainline 3.1?

Hi Nicholas,

I would like to know if there is a chance that LIO iscsi target will be merged into mainline 3.1 kernel. I read your discussion with James Bottomley regarding userspace CHAP authentication but there was no clear conclusion. I'm ready to help you with testing again if there will be an agreement to include iscsi target in the following merge window. Otherwise, I would have to stop playing with 4.1 code and base our internal iscsi storages on LIO 3.5/4.0 because we cannot wait another 3 or 6 or more months for the stable mainline version.

Note that as an iscsi target user, I definitely agree with you that the basic CHAP authentication should be kept in kernel. Because every unnecessary userspace code only adds installation/upgrade/permissions/compatibility/whatever issues to our administrators, with in turn increases the maintenance cost of the solution. That's why I like LIO -- there is a single control plane and all-in-kernel code that *just works*. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any major iscsi initiator that supports the other authentication methods and also see no urgent requests for these methods in mailing lists. So, breaking the working code and putting just only CHAP authentication into userspace for no practical reason makes no sense to me.

Best regards.

Martin