Re: Updating network file during boot

On Fri, 23 Aug 2024 at 10:44, Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I might be missing something, but... the systemd renaming is just another udev rule, one in 80-net-setup-link, isn't it? Rules for the same interface can't race with each other, they're processed linearly. (Rules for *different* interfaces can race but that happens regardless of the method.)

Last I checked, the udev rule that applies .link files is supposed to honor a previously set NAME=, and any rules that set NAME= after systemd should just override it as usual.

That said, because the enp* naming is done by .link files, it doesn't make sense to have a .link file reference an /sys/enp* DEVPATH because at that point in time, the enp* naming hasn't been applied yet... this is not a race, quite the opposite – you're trying to make thing X conditional on the result of same thing X.

You might be completely right.

I've switched all naming to using udev again this morning which uses the KERNEL PCI bus ID to name the devices, and now everything is working without any issues over repeated reboots and power cycles.

I'm completely lost as to why I was getting any kind of race conditions.

I'm going to stick with this config and reinstall the whole system from scratch with the udev rules and see if things remain stable.

Thank you everybody for the advice and help with this. It can be tricky when it's a custom piece of hardware.

If I get stuck further on, I will start a new thread.

Kind regards
Henti