Re: Understanding the effect of AccuracySec=

On 16.08.2024 12:43, Windl, Ulrich wrote:
Hi!

I have defined a time using

[Timer]
OnCalendar=daily
AccuracySec=6h
Persistent=true

And the idea was to run the unit daily, but it's rather unimportant when, just nout in prime hours.

The man page says:

        AccuracySec=
            Specify the accuracy the timer shall elapse with. Defaults to 1min.
            The timer is scheduled to elapse within a time window starting with
            the time specified in OnCalendar=, OnActiveSec=, OnBootSec=,
            OnStartupSec=, OnUnitActiveSec= or OnUnitInactiveSec= and ending
            the time configured with AccuracySec= later. Within this time
            window, the expiry time will be placed at a host-specific,
            randomized but stable position that is synchronized between all
            local timer units. This is done in order to distribute the wake-up
            time in networked installations, as well as optimizing power
            consumption to suppress unnecessary CPU wake-ups. To get best
            accuracy, set this option to 1us. Note that the timer is still
            subject to the timer slack configured via systemd-system.conf(5)'s
            TimerSlackNSec= setting. See prctl(2) for details. To optimize
            power consumption, make sure to set this value as high as possible
            and as low as necessary.

So I expected that multiple instances of the timer would be "spread", but instead I see all instances started at 00:00:01.

It sounds like you want RandomizedDelaySec, not AccuracySec.

So did I misunderstand, or is it some kind of bug with timer instances? Systemd being used is old systemd-228-157.60.1.x86_64 in SLES 12 SP5...

Or is

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

Causing this?