Re: Trying to resolve user level systemd unit journal not writing to local user journal

On 12.08.2024 22:36, SCOTT FIELDS wrote:
OS = Fedora 39
Systemd version = 254.13

I have an application running via a user level system unit file.

The UID is > 999.

I'm expecting the application journal entries to be a local entry in $XDG_STATE_HOME/log, but it's using the user level journal in /var/log/journal.

Why do you expecting that?

FYI, I'm not expressly setting XDG_STATE_HOME, since it heavily implies it will default to '$HOME /. local/state'

I not yet tested expressly setting XDG_STATE_HOME in the unit file environment variables, since I really shouldn't have to.

My understanding of the behavior is it SHOULD be writing this to the XDG_STATE_HOME location. If it's correct, how I can be troubleshoot why it's not?

Scott Fields

Kyndryl

Senior Lead SRE – BNSF

817-593-5038 (BNSF)