nspawn, ipvlan and documentation

Hello,

I would like to confirm, wether I am reading the nspawn documentation correctly or wether I am confusing things.
For ipvlan, it reads:

'Create an "ipvlan" interface of the specified Ethernet network interface and add it to the container.'

I understand this the way, that the equivalent to:

ip link add link eth0 name ifipvlan type ipvlan

is being done by nspawn. So I proivide the eth0 interface as the argument to --network-ipvlan=

This kind of works, however, the interface inside the container always has mode L2.

In case, my interpretation so far is correct, how do I specify the ipvlan mode (L3S instead of the default L2)?

Or is my only chance to create an ipvlan mode l3 interface on the host and assign it to the container using the --network-interface=ifipvlan switch?

Thanks

Ede