Re: systemd --user managers after systemd upgrade

v255 added a new systemd-executor binary – instead of direct fork/setup/exec, now it's fork/exec(executor)/setup/exec(service), to avoid doing too much stuff after fork. But the binary is executed off an open fd, so even though you've upgraded it on disk, the manager is still holding onto its old copy.

I guess the latter ended up achieving the opposite of what it intended.

I think asking systemd to reexec itself after the upgrade is how you're supposed to handle it – i.e. first "systemctl daemon-reexec" the system manager (or "telinit u" if you like), then "systemctl --user daemon-reexec", or a mass "systemctl kill -s SIGRTMIN-25 user@\*.service". (On Arch it's one of the very few daemon restarts that are automatically done via post-upgrade hooks.)