systemd-shutdown disarms hardware watchdog when finished

Hello,

I have a system that should keep the hardware watchdog active while rebooting the system. It has worked fine up to systemd version v254.

I noticed that since systemd version v254 my system stops the hardware watchdog after systemd-shutdown completes. I think it's the watchdog_free_device function that's responsible.

The watchdog_free_device function will call watchdog_set_device(NULL) from watchdog.h. Since commit f81048f8 the watchdog will be disarmed and stopped if changed in watchdog_set_device.

There's a comment just above watchdog_free_device in shutdown.c that contradicts what's actually happening right now: "Note that the watchdog is explicitly not stopped here".

Is this the intended behavior? Anything I can do to get my system back to its behavior before version v254 where my hardware watchdog is still active/running after systemd-shutdown has finished?

Best regards,
Andreas Svensson