Re: Query on sshd.socket sshd.service approaches

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 12:21 PM Arseny Maslennikov <ar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So mode 2 only really makes sense for deployments which are only ever
accessible from intranets with little junk traffic.

Which is the case for "deployments" that are not servers in the first place. Many distros are oriented towards personal computers, which are usually behind a firewall so junk traffic is not a concern, but which you might want to SSH/VNC/RDP at unexpected moments.

For example, when I first started using systemd in ~2011, my laptop still had a 5400 rpm HDD, and its boot time mattered far more than it does for "deployments", so systemd's promise of on-demand startup of everything (to reduce the boot I/O contention while still keeping the actual service available) was particularly attractive.

(Of course, these days most systems have SSDs while even the baseline systemd startup process runs twice as many Assorted Things as my full desktop environment did in the past, so maybe the issue is no longer relevant.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas