Networkd defaulting to interface UP when BindCarrier points to non-existing interface

Hello,

I'm using the BindCarrier option on some vlan interfaces so networkd will mirror the up/down state of another interface, and I'm mirroring the state of an interface that will be created by another program, after networkd has done its initial config.

The problem I have is the interface's state in the small time interval between networkd creating the interfaces and the other program creating the interface to mirror.

They are defaulting to "up" in absence of the interface to mirror. I'd like them to default to "down".

I guess it's similar to the "ActivationPolicy=down" behaviour, but in this case, ActivationPolicy is of course "bound".

In short, this is the order of things on boot:
1 - networkd runs, creates vlans and brings them UP
2 - other application runs, creates master interface, DOWN
3 - networkd reacts according to BindCarrier, brings vlans DOWN

I'd like networkd to create vlans DOWN on step 1.

Jordi Augé
Embedded Linux Engineer