De : Lennart Poettering <lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Envoyé : jeudi 8 février 2024 11:57
À : Agrain Patrick <patrick.agrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc : systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : EXT: Re:  What creates a new machine-id ?

** External email - Please consider with caution **

On Do, 08.02.24 09:35, Agrain Patrick (patrick.agrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our embedded system is based on a Rocky Linux 8 distribution which embeds systemd-239.
>
> At first bootup, a machine-id is created and remains persistent over the following reboots.
> System upgrade sometimes creates a new machine-id, sometimes not.
> By 'system upgrade', I mean either new linux kernel or upgraded Rocky packages or both.
>
> Could you precise me what event(s) in the previous upgrade cases
> trigger a new machine-id ?

See:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/machine-id.html#Initialization

Or in other words: the machine ID is supposed to be persisted in /etc/. if your upgrade procedure somehow causes the machine ID to be invalidated somehow, then we'll assign a new one though. We basically make sure that whatever happens, on boot we initialize it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin