Re: Issues supporting systems with and without TPM and firmware TPM (was Re: Handle device node timeout?)

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 11:28:31AM +0200, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following up to my previous question which worked around with
> Wants: and After: to dev-tpmrm0.device and tee-supplicant@teepriv0.service,
> which don't seem to work fully.
>
> In short, I want to support devices with and without TPM. The TPM device
> can also be a firmware fTPM device which depends on tee-supplicant in userspace
> for RPMB storage.
>
> If TPM device is found, systemd repart in initramfs will create an encrypted rootfs
> and if not a plaintext ext4 partition.
>
> Support for TPM devices is ok and drivers are built into kernel. systemd repart config
> for rootfs is:
>
> [Partition]
> Type=root
> Weight=100
> Format=ext4
> Encrypt=tpm2
> FactoryReset=yes
> MakeDirectories=/boot /usr /home /home/root
> # copying etc from build time /usr image
> CopyFiles=/usr/etc:/etc
>
> /usr partition generated at build time is dm-verity protected and contains
> /etc which is copied over to newly created rootfs.
>
> Support for fTPM devices is problematic. First, the kernel support must be modules
> but loading needs to be specially handled after starting tee-supplicant. For normal
> boot udev handles optee detection and triggers tee-supplicant@teepriv0.service
> startup which unloads tpm_ftpm_tee kernel module, starts tee-supplicant and then
> loads the kernel module again. After this RPMB works. To do the same in initramfs, I added
> Wants: and After: dependencies from systemd-repart.service, systemd-cryptsetup@.service,
> systemd-pcrmachine.service and systemd-pcrphase-initrd.service:
>
> After=dev-tpmrm0.device tee-supplicant@teepriv0.service
> Wants=dev-tpmrm0.device tee-supplicant@teepriv0.service

I think my problems come from:

After=tee-supplicant@teepriv0.service
Wants=tee-supplicant@teepriv0.service

Basically tee-supplicant should only be started if /dev/teepriv* device node
is available. Then in my case with fTPM devices, all TPM using and encrypted
rootfs creating services need to depend on the service which starts tee-supplicant
but only if /dev/teepriv0 exists. If teepriv0 doesn't exist, then tee-supplicant
should not be started and the dependencies to it should not exist either.

How should this dependency be expressed in systemd services?

Can tee-supplicant@.service include:

Before=systemd-pcrphase-initrd.service systemd-pcrphase.service systemd-pcrmachine.service
WantedBy=systemd-pcrphase-initrd.service systemd-pcrphase.service systemd-pcrmachine.service

In my testing this does not seem to work inside initramfs.

If systemd-pcrphase-initrd.service systemd-pcrphase.service and systemd-pcrmachine.service
service have After= and Wants= to tee-supplicant@teepriv0.service then things work,
except on boards which have no optee and no /dev/teepriv0 where tee-supplicant seems
be started and fails due to missing optee which breaks the initramfs boot.

Cheers,

-Mikko