Re: IPv6 Compliance for networkd

On Mo, 11.12.23 19:14, Muggeridge, Matt (matt.muggeridge2@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hello, networkd developer community,
>
> I am hoping to rally support for making networkd IPv6 compliant and
> I'm will to help, but cannot do it alone. Is there any interest in
> making systemd-networkd IPv6 compliant?

Well, interest is relative. I think for most people IPv6 already works
well enough, they don't really care about compliance programs on this
so much. But as long as the requirements are reasonable they also
wouldn't mind (and prefer) if networkd passes those qualifications.

> There are many organizations (especially US Government) that mandate
> IPv6 compliance (USGv6).  Products that are dependent on networkd
> cannot be bid to these customers.

For the people currently involved with networkd upstream this is not a
top priority. If this is important to you however, that's great, we
are happy to review/merge patches.

> How do I engage with the right people in the developer community?

Send PRs via github.

> Thanks,
> Matt.
>
> PS: Mailing list topics go unanswered and github issues get lost in
> the noise, so I'm hoping there's a more efficient way to
> collaborate.

It's an Open Source project: if something matters a lot to you, then
please file PRs to get the work merged. We generally try to review PRs
sooner or later, but we are swamped with work, so it might take a
while. Just filing issues (while also appreciated) will usually
not magically make somebody work on this for you though. It's kinda
the same with most open source projects btw.

If this is something you'd like to see addressed soon, I'd recommend
maybe paying some consultancy (we have worked with codethink on some
projects, they should be willing to work on this, are capable and now
hot get stuff in systemd done).

If you don't have the cash for that, it might work to get funding from
this from organizations such as the German STF and things like
that. I am pretty sure that the US has something similar?

Anyway, judging by your email address I understand you work for HPE,
so I'd assume your company actually has the funds to payroll this
though, if this matters to you.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin