Re: [RFC] initoverlayfs - a scalable initial filesystem

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 08:58:58PM +0000, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 at 20:43, Demi Marie Obenour
> <demi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 08:15:27PM +0000, Luca Boccassi wrote:

> > > All those problems are already solved, without inventing a new shell
> > > scripting solution - we have DDIs and credentials. This is the exact
> > > opposite of the direction we are pursuing: we want to _kill_ all these
> > > initrd-specific infrastructure, tools, build systems, dependency
> > > management and so on, because they are difficult to maintain, they
> > > create a completely different environment that what is "normally" ran,
> > > and they end up reinventing everything the 'normal' image does. We
> > > want to build initrds from packages - as in normal distribution
> > > packages, not special sauce initrd-only packages, so that the same
> > > code and the same configuration is used everywhere, in different
> > > runtime modes. Because that's what distributions are good to do:
> > > creating package-based ecosystems, with good tooling, infrastructure
> > > and so on.
> > >
> > > The end goal is to build images without initramfs-tools/dracut and
> > > just using packages, not to stick yet another glue script in front of
> > > them, that needs yet more special initrd-only arcane magic to put
> > > together, in order to save a handful of KBs.
> >
> > The initramfs being a RAM filesystem is exactly why keeping it small is
> > so critical.  Lennart's suggestion solves this problem by eagerly
> > would use distribution packages to build this on-disk image.
>
> This is already solved by using extension DDIs for optional packages.

What about non-optional packages?  The goal is to _require_ the on-disk
image to boot, so that full-featured UI toolkits can be used to e.g.
prompt for LUKS passphrases.  Ideally, the initramfs would be as minimal
as possible.

> > > And for ancient, legacy platforms that do not support modern APIs, the
> > > old ways will still be there, and can be used. Nobody is going to take
> > > away grub and dracut from the internet, if you got some special corner
> > > case where you want to use it it will still be there, but the fact
> > > that such corner cases exist cannot stop the rest of the ecosystem
> > > that is targeted to modern hardware from evolving into something
> > > better, more maintainable and more straightforward.
> >
> > The problem is not that UEFI is not usable in automotive systems.  The
> > problem is that U-Boot (or any other UEFI implementation) is an extra
> > stage in the boot process, slows things down, and has more attack
> > surface.
>
> Whatever firmware you use will have an attack surface, the interface
> it provides - whether legacy bios or uefi-based - is irrelevant for
> that. Skipping or reimplementing all the verity, tpm, etc logic also
> increases the attack surface, as does adding initrd-only code that is
> never tested and exercised outside of that limited context. If you are
> running with legacy bios on ancient hardware you also will likely lack
> tpm, secure boot, and so on, so it's all moot, any security argument
> goes out of the window. If anybody cares about platform security, then
> a tpm-capable and secureboot-capable firmware with a modern, usable
> interface like uefi, running the same code in initrd and full system,
> using dm-verity everywhere, is pretty much the best one can do.

Neither Chrome OS devices nor Macs with Apple silicon use UEFI, and both
have better platform security than any UEFI-based device on the market I
am aware of.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)